In the past college was founded as Forests School in 1942 at Khartoum Forest Nursery.
It was moved to its present location at soba in 1962.
It was a two_year diploma Institute up to 1979.
The Institute was affiliated to the Ministry of Higher Education in 1973.
In 1985, it was one of the institutes of Khartoum Polytechnic and in1990 Sudan
University for Science and Technology was created. In 1996, the Institute was upgraded to award B.Sc in forest in four years and in 1998 a department of range was established.
The college started awarding. Bsc with Honors (five years) in 2002.