In the past the college was founded as the "Forests School" in 1942 at Khartoum Forest Nursery and then it was moved to its present location at Soba in 1962. The college was a two-year diploma Institute until 1979.
The Institute was affiliated to the Ministry of Higher Education in 1973. In 1985, it was one of the institutes of Khartoum Polytechnic and in 1990 Sudan University for Science and Technology was coined.
In 1996, the Institute was upgraded to award BSc in forestry in four years and in 1998 the department of range was established. The college started awarding BSc with Honors (five years) in 2002.